Select press coverage of Understanding Unbelief can be found below. For press enquiries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr Lois Lee explores the limitations of current survey methodologies in measuring the nonreligious population in Britain.
- Church Times ‘Take the beliefs of the non-religious seriously’ (3 November 2017)
Select press coverage of the finding of the 2016 British Social Attitudes (BSA) Survey that unbelievers’ now comprise 53% of the UK population.
- Church Times ‘British pass another milestone on the journey away from faith’ (4 September 2017)
Spiritual But Not Religious
Dr Miguel Farias considers unbeliever’s interest in spiritual practices like meditation.
- Psychology Today ‘Am I an Illusion? Atheists is search of the spirit- through meditation’ (12 July 2017)
Select press coverage for Stephen Bullivant’s report, ‘The “No Religion Population of Britain”. Research funded by the Department of Evangelisation and Catechesis of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of England and Wales. Published by the Benedict XVI Centre for Religion and Society.
- The Observer ‘Nearly 50% are of no religion – but has UK hit ‘peak secular’? (14 May 2017)
- BBC Radio 4 ‘Breakaway’ Anglican church’ (14 May 2017)
- The Telegraph ‘Anglican church congregation numbers have ‘stabilised’ (14 May 2017)
- The Herald ‘Study finds Scotland one of the least religious areas in the UK’ (14 May 2017)
- Mail on Sunday ‘Rising patriotism and pride in being Christian sees Church of England congregations grow’ (14 May 2017)
- Catholic Herald ‘A quarter of ‘non-religious’ Britons admit to praying’ (14 May 2017)
- The Times ‘Exodus from Church of England slows at last’ (15 May 2017)
- Metro ‘Nearly half of us are non-religious- as Christians ‘convert’ into unbelievers’ (15 May 2017)
- Russia Today ‘Losing my religion? Secular Brits now outnumber Christians, but Islam and Hinduism growing’ (15 May 2017)
- The Christian Post ‘Dramatic fall of Christianity in UK continues: 26 Christians abandon faith for every one new convert’ (15 May 2017)
Is atheism a religion?
New Scientist writer Graham Lawton talks to Understanding Unbelief’s Dr Lois Lee; Dr Jonathan Lanman; and Dr Miguel Farias, and other leading scholars, about the study of atheism.
- New Scientist, ‘Faith of the faithless: Is atheism just another religion?’ (11 April 2017)
Atheism and death anxiety
Select coverage of new research led by Dr Jonathan Jong ‘The religious correlates of death anxiety: Systematic review and meta-analysis’.
- Sputnik International ‘Atheists and the highly religious least likely to be scared of death’ (28 March 2017)
- Physorg ‘Study into who is least afraid of death’ (24 March 2017)
- University of Oxford ‘Study into who is least afraid of death’ (24 March 2017)
- Europawire ‘New studies show death not feared by religious and atheists’ (23 March 2017)