We are currently calling for applications for a number of PhD studentships for an expected start in September 2021.
Application Deadline: Open until filled
The Institute of Advanced Studies in Cyber Security and Conflict (SoCyETAL) has 3 PhD studentships available.
Further details to follow soon.
You can also contact Professor Shujun Li, if you would like to discuss this opportunity.
Application Deadline 31st January 2021
The University of Kent and the China Scholarship Council are jointly providing up to 20 fully funded PhD scholarships per annum for Chinese students to study at University of Kent’s UK campuses.
Application Deadline 22nd January 2021
EPSRC are funding 8-10 studentships in the division of Computing, Engineering and Mathematical Sciences (CEMS). All academics in CEMS including all Core Members of KirCCS from the School of Computing and School of Engineering and Digital Arts, are eligible to be principal supervisors of such PhD students. Further details of this Scholarship.
Kent-Lille Joint (Cotutelle) PhD Scholarships
Applicants should apply by Friday 16th April 2021 for the corresponding Academic School to send nominated applicants to the Panel for consideration by Sunday 18th April 2021.
The Joint Kent-Lille PhD Scholarship partnership is funding 3 PhD scholarships (notionally 1 in Arts and Humanities, 1 in Natural Sciences or Computing, Engineering and Mathematical Sciences and 1 in Human and Social Sciences, KBS or Law and Society and Social Justice) for 2021/22. This will include fees plus a maintenance stipend at the Home Research Council rate for three years.
Jointly supervised PhDs (widely known as cotutelles) offer PhD students the chance to be jointly supervised by the University of Kent and a university in another country, resulting in a dual award: a PhD from Kent and a doctorate from the partner university. More information about cotutelles is available here.
Cotutelle students are required to have an academic supervisor from each institution, with the Main Supervisor located in the host institution.
Candidates should contact the relevant academic school as early as possible and identify a supervisor at Kent and discuss your cotutelle plans with them, whether that is an advertised staff project or an original research project.
Once the academic school has confirmed it would be willing to admit and supervise you as a cotutelle candidate, you will need to apply for a place at the University of Kent through a standard PhD application, indicating that you wish to be considered for the cotutelle award.
Kent Signature Research Themes PhD Scholarships
Application Deadline 14th March 2021
The University of Kent is delighted to invite applications for 6 doctoral scholarships starting in the academic year 2021 (from September 2021). The call is open to candidates interested in pursuing a PhD programme in any discipline or disciplines at the University on a research project directly linked to one of our recently established Signature Research Themes. These themes are:
- Food, Natural Resources and Environment
- Future Human
- Migration and Movement
Further information on these three themes can be found on the University’s Signature Research Themes webpages: https://research.kent.ac.uk/signature-themes/
Signature Research Theme scholars will receive the following:
- Annual stipend at UKRI rates (£15,285 in 2020/21);
- Annual tuition fees at UKRI Home rates (£4,407 in 2020/21)
- 2021/22 rates to be announced.
NOTE: This scholarship call is open to Home applicants only.
Applications for Signature Research Theme scholarships will be student-led. Interested students should suggest their own research projects, however we strongly recommend that applicants contact the supervisor/s they have in mind to discuss their research proposal with them in advance of submitting their application.
Applicants should follow the University of Kent’s online application process. As part of the process, you should include the following:
- your reasons for study
- your research proposal;
- how your research fits with the Signature Research Theme;
- details of your qualifications;
- two academic references;
- other relevant personal information and supporting documentation.
How to Apply
To apply for any of the above PhD studentships, follow the steps below. Note that the research proposal is used to test your technical writing and literature review skills, and the topic may still be adjusted in the application process and refined during your PhD study. Please read the application requirements carefully for the scholarship you are applying for, as these may vary.
- Read the general instructions for PhD applications.
- Study research profiles of all eligible supervisors (including all KirCCS Core Members) to identify one or several supervisors you want to work with.
- Approach potential supervisors to discuss your research topics to identity the principal supervisor(s) you want to work with and to get advice on how to prepare a research proposal (required as part of your application material, see below).
- Prepare your application material, which should include
- a properly formatted CV
- the certificate(s) and transcript(s) of all university degree programme(s) studied
- a research proposal on a selected topic including a mini literature review, a proposed methodology, a work plan and a bibliography
- proof of your English qualifications (if not obvious from other application material)
- proof of your home student status (if you consider yourself eligible as a home student)
- at least two reference letters (which can be provided after you submit your formal application)
- (if you are an overseas applicant please check the specific eligibility criteria on the relevant scholarship)
- After you have all your application material ready, visit the following web page to submit your application: https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate/apply
If you have difficulties identifying research topics or supervisors, please contact Professor Shujun Li for advice.
If you have questions on the School level PhD admissions procedure, please contact the relevant School(s):
We will notify you here of upcoming positions.