At iCSS, we have a passion for engaging with the public. This involves a range of activities including, hosting and speaking at public events, contributing to media articles on current issues, and involving the public as we conduct our research.
We believe that through such engagement, we can actively contribute to society, locally, nationally and internationally. If you think that we may be able to support your organisation or society, please contact Dr Jason Nurse, iCSS Public Engagement Lead on J.R.C.Nurse@kent.ac.uk.
Presented below are some examples of public engagement activities our members have participated in.
- Public Engagement Events including the Kent Cyber Security Forum/Festival (KCSF), a Kent-branded annual public engagement event. Please see our events page for more information.
- Outreach Activities for Schools. For more information, please see our Outreach page.
- Raising public awareness and interacting with public media. We regularly conduct activities to raise the general public’s cyber security awareness and interact with public media to express expert comments on cyber security issues.
- February 2021: Top Tips for Safer Internet Day 2021
- December 2020: Live sessions as part of Cyber First’s EmPower Cyber Week
- June 2020: Article in the Wall Street Journal ‘The Dangerous Secrets our Working-From-Home photos reveal’
- May 2020: Interview with KMTV on the 2020 EasyJet data breach incident
- May 2020: BBC interview about how smart home devices are being used as a form of domestic abuse.
- April 2020: Article published in Today, warning readers of security and privacy risks when working from home.
- May 2019: Widely reported expert comments on a WhatsApp security flaw
- April 2019: Expert comments on banning Huawei from UK 5G network due to security concerns
- March 2019: Interview with Business Motoring on vulnerabilities in a number of car alarm systems
- January 2019: Interview for BBC World Service, The Why Factor on Fitness apps and privacy
- January 2019: Interview by Wired Magazine for an article on Fortnite’s security flaws
- January 2019: Article for The Conversation
- January 2019: Interview for Symantec Blogs Feature Stories and Advice for CISOs: Want More Resources? Think Beyond Pure Tech
- December 2018: Interview by Kent Online for an article on How to avoid being a victim of cybercrime in Kent.
- October 2018: Interview with Nature about Making Children safer online
- September 2018: Feature in children’s book, Fantastic Jobs and How to Get Them. Copies available here.
- 2018-present: Cyber security awareness articles on The Conversation e.g. Working from home risks online security and privacy – how to stay protected published during the 2020 COVID-19 pandemic.
- Supporting cyber security related public-facing events as invited speakers or panellists.
- January 2020: Interview at FIC 2020 to talk about relationships between, AI, humans and cyber security
- October 2019: Talk on “Online data and the pursuit of privacy” at New Scientist Live 2019
- May 2019: Talk at Kent Pint of Science festival
- April 2019: Cyber security workshops for SMEs in the community
- Peepsec 2019: watch Jason Nurse’s interview and Shujun Li’s interview
- February 2018: Talk at TEISS 2018 on quantum computing
We have an external-facing mailing list to inform non-Kent people and organisations who are interested in hearing about news, events and other public announcements from the institute. If you are interested in subscribing to it, send an email to email@example.com with a brief introduction to yourself (and your employer if that is relevant).