At KirCCS, we have a passion for engaging the public with our research. This involves a range of activities including, hosting and speaking at public events, contributing to media articles on current issues, and involving the public as we conduct our research.
We believe that through such engagement, we can actively contribute to society, locally, nationally and internationally. If you think that we may be able to support your organisation or society, please contact Dr Jason Nurse, Director of External Engagement on J.R.C.Nurse@kent.ac.uk.
Presented below are some examples of public engagement activities KirCCS members have participated in.
- Public Engagement Events including the Kent Cyber Security Forum/Festival (KCSF), a Kent-branded annual public engagement event. Please see our events page for more information.
- Outreach Activities for Schools. For more information, please see our Outreach Activities page.
- Raising public awareness and interacting with public media. Researchers of the Centre regularly conduct activities to raise the general public’s cyber security awareness and interact with public media to express expert comments on cyber security issues.
- June 2020: Jason Nurse’s article in the Wall Street Journal ‘The Dangerous Secrets our Working-From-Home photos reveal’
- May 2020: Shujun Li’s interview with KMTV on the 2020 EasyJet data breach incident
- May 2020: Jason Nurse talks to the BBC about how smart home devices are being used as a form of domestic abuse.
- April 2020: Jason Nurse’s article published in Today, warning readers of security and privacy risks when working from home.
- February 2020: Jason Nurse’s top tips on staying safe online for Safer Internet Day
- May 2019: Budi Arief’s widely reported expert comments on a WhatsApp security flaw
- April 2019: Shujun Li’s expert comments on banning Huawei from UK 5G network due to security concerns
- March 2019: Budi Arief’s interview with Business Motoring on vulnerabilities in a number of car alarm systems
- January 2019: Jason Nurse is interviewed for BBC World Service, The Why Factor on Fitness apps and privacy
- January 2019: Jason Nurse is interviewed by Wired Magazine for an article on Fortnite’s security flaws
- January 2019: Carlos Perez-Delgado writes an article for The Conversation
- January 2019: Jason Nurse is interviewed for Symantec Blogs Feature Stories and provides Advice for CISOs: Want More Resources? Think Beyond Pure Tech
- December 2018: Jason Nurse is interviewed by Kent Online for an article on How to avoid being a victim of cybercrime in Kent.
- October 2018: Jason Nurse speaks to Nature about Making Children safer online
- September 2018: Jason Nurse is featured scientist in children’s book, Fantastic Jobs and How to Get Them. Copies available here.
- 2018-present: Jason Nurse’s cyber security awareness articles on The Conversation e.g. Working from home risks online security and privacy – how to stay protected published during the 2020 COVID-19 pandemic.
- Supporting cyber security related public-facing events as invited speakers or panellists.
- January 2020: Shujun Li’s interview at FIC 2020 to talk about relationships between, AI, humans and cyber security
- October 2019: Jason Nurse’s talk on “Online data and the pursuit of privacy” at New Scientist Live 2019
- May 2019: Jason Nurse’s talk at Kent Pint of Science festival
- April 2019: Özgür Kafalı and Jason Nurse do some cyber security workshops for SMEs in the community
- Peepsec 2019: watch Jason Nurse’s interview and Shujun Li’s interview
- May 2018: Jason Nurse’s talk on cybercrime and psychology at the Pint of Science Festival
- February 2018: Carlos Perez-Delgado’s talk at TEISS 2018 on quantum computing
We have an external-facing mailing list to inform non-Kent people and organisations who are interested in hearing about news, events and other public announcements from the Centre. If you are interested in subscribing to it, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a brief introduction to yourself (and your employer if that is relevant).