For specific queries about your responsibilities, talk to your relevant Grants & Contracts Officer.
Principal Investigators (PI)
- You are responsible for managing the project, including
- Undertaking the programme of research according to the contract / proposal
- Managing and monitoring the project budget
- Complying with the Data Protection Act, and ensure everyone working on the project complies with the Act
- Alert us to any material changes in the project as soon as possible. This may include the resignation of researcher, the need for project extension, or a delay or difficulty in reaching project milestones
- Ensure all contractual matters are dealt with by us
- Alert Kent Innovation & Enterprise to any intellectual property rights with commercial potential arising from the project as soon as possible.
- You are responsible for managing staff on the project, including
- Involving any Co-Is in the work of the project
- Managing any project research staff, including contractual arrangements. You should not let researchers arrange their own extension, salary point etc
- Managing the work of any consultants or sub-contractors used on the project
- Ensuring that all staff, students and external consultants or sub-contractors are familiar with and comply with relevant University policies and procedures, and the funder’s terms and conditions
- You are responsible for supporting the PI in carrying out the project and
- Taking on the responsibilities of the PI if the PI is unable to continue with the project as planned.
Both Principal Investigators (PI) and Co-investigators (Co-I)
You should make yourselves familiar and comply with
- Relevant University policies and procedures, including obtaining ethical approval for any necessary work
- The funder’s terms and conditions.
In case of conflict, the funder’s terms and conditions over-ride the University financial procedures and regulations.