The Grants Factory is a series of workshops that develop the skills and inside knowledge necessary for writing successful applications.
They are led by academics and experts with experience in applying for, reviewing and assessing applications.
The 2018-19 programme meshes with that for the Early Career Researchers Network, and is closely tied to the Vitae Researcher Development Framework. Follow the links below for more detail on each of the sessions. You can register to attend via these. We will be adding links for all the events shortly.
- Grant writing week (17/09/2018, 10:00-16:00)
- Cracking the ESRC’s Secondary Data Analysis Initiative Scheme (31/10/2018, 12:30-13:30)
- Specific requirements and preparations for a GCRF bid (07/11/2018, 14:00-16:00)
- Getting Wellcome funding for the social sciences and humanities (14/11/2018, 14:00-15:00)
- European funding after 2019: Brexit and Horizon Europe – slides here (19/11/2018, 10:00-12:00)
- Succeeding with Leverhulme (04/12/2018, 09:30-11:30)
- Grant writing week (07/01/2019, 14:00-16:00)
- Using Research Professional for news and funding opportunities (10/01/2019, 13:00-14:00)
- Essential elements of a successful application (23/01/2019, 12:00-14:00)
- Costing a research proposal (01/02/2019, 14:00-16:00)
- Writing a data management plan (13/02/2019, 14:00-16:00)
- Using online platforms to disseminate and track your research (27/02/2019, 14:00-16:00)
- Finding and working with partners outside of academia (06/03/2019, 14:00-16:00)
- The GDPR and my research: what do I need to know? (12/03/2019, 12:00-14:00)
- Who owns what and why: navigating copyright (27/03/2019, 14:00-16:00)
- What is ‘open research’, and why should I care? (03/04/2019, 14:00-16:00)
- Grant writing week (29/04/2019, 14:00-16:00)
- Using Research Professional for news and funding opportunities (02/05/2019, 13:00-14:00)
- Thinking creatively about alternative funding for your research (08/05/2019, 14:00-16:00)
- Known unknowns: how to manage a funded research project (15/05/2019, 14:00-16:00)
- Engaging the public with your research (05/06/2019, 14:00-16:00)
- BBSRC Mock Panel (TBC)
- EPSRC Mock Panel (TBC)
- ESRC Mock Panel (TBC)
- AHRC Mock Panel (TBC)
- Changes at the Wellcome Trust (TBC)
If you have any questions, contact Phil Ward.
- Identifying an idea
- Essential elements of a good proposal:
- Costing a proposal
- Responding to reviewers’ comments, and specifically EPSRC comments
- Recycling your proposal
- Using social media
The Grants Factory is complemented by the Early Career Researchers Network (ECRN), which offers mutual support to academics at the beginning of their careers. For more information on either, contact Phil Ward.