Research Services supports academics and researchers at the University in preparing, submitting and managing research grants. It is also responsible for a range of related issues, including the preparation and submission of our REF return, oversight of research ethics and governance, impact, public engagement, researcher development and, together with the Office for Scholarly Communication, Open Access.
You can find out more about all of our services via the tabs at the top of the page, or by following the links below. If you’re not sure where to go, contact us.
- Applying for funding: if you need help with finding funding or putting together an application, or want to understand the University’s processes for submitting a bid for external grants, click here.
- Managing your award: if you’ve recently won an award, congratulations! To find out what you need to do next, click here.
- Reporting on your award: most funders want you to provide regular financial reports on your award. You might also need to provide an end of award report explaining what your project has achieved, To find out more, click here.
- Ethics and governance: if your research involves working with humans or animals you have specific legal and moral obligations to them. Find out what these are, and how you should fulfil them, here.
- Impact and public engagement: connecting with those outside of academia to ensure that your research has a positive social or economic effect is central to what we do. To find out more, click here.
- Open access: there is a strong current movement to allow outputs to be made free at the point of access, without firewalls or subscription. Here at Kent the Office for Scholarly Communication is leading on this, with input from us. To find out more, click here.
- Researcher development: supporting the positive mentoring, training and wider development of early career researchers is key to the long-term sustainability of our research. We work with Human Resources and the Graduate School to ensure that a framework of support is in place for this. To find out more, click here.
Policy and strategy
- Research policy: if you want to find out more about the policy that governs our work and the research at the University, including the structures in place to support it, click here.
- Research Excellence Framework: if you want to find out more about what the REF is or how the University is preparing for it, click here.
- Eastern ARC: Eastern ARC is a strategic collaboration between the universities of Kent, Essex and East Anglia. To find out more about what the Consortium does, click here.
If you have any problems using the website, or notice broken links or dated information, contact Phil Ward.