32 years old, mature student, returned to education after 7 years of full time employment.
Design, assembly and testing of a polygon mirror (PM) based spectral filter for Swept Source Optical Coherence Tomography (SS-OCT).
A detailed investigation of the system’s features and how they can be exploited to achieve maximum performance for OCT. Particular attention is given to maximising the power transmission via the reduction of vignetting seen at the PM’s facets while also optimising the system for OCT by maximising bandwidth and minimising instantaneous laser linewidth. This research has a direct impact on smaller laboratories wishing to conduct OCT experiments, on a budget, using a reliable and fast swept source capable of working at any wavelength. The project is being carried out and compared experimentally, theoretically and via simulation using ZemaxTM ray tracing software
Education & Achievements
- 1st Class Degree in Physics, BSc with Honours – University of Kent, Canterbury, UK
- Workshop organiser and presenter for ‘Science in Schools’, collaboration with the British Council, 4th – 10th October 2015, Besançon, France.
- Attendee and speaker at TIM15-16 Physics Conference, 26th – 28th May 2016, Timisoara, Romania.
- Attendee and Honorary Diploma recipient at the International School on Light Sciences & Technologies (ISLiST/UIMP 2016), Main Core: Light in Medicine, 20th – 24th June 2016, Santander, Spain.
- Attendee and poster presenter at World of Photonics Congress, SPIE Digital Optical Technologies, 25th – 29th June 2017, Internationales Congress Center, Munich, Germany
- Attendee and speaker at Advanced Laser Technologies in the Hands of Medicine Congress, 15th – 17th July 2017, Timisoara, Romania.
- Attendee and speaker at the 2nd Canterbury Conference on Optical Coherence Tomography (2CCOCT), 6th – 8th September 2017, University of Kent, Canterbury, UK.
- Everson, M., Duma, V.F. and Dobre, G., 2017, January. Geometric & radiometric vignetting associated with a 72-facet, off-axis, polygon mirror for swept source optical coherence tomography (SS-OCT). In AIP Conference Proceedings (Vol. 1796, No. 1, p. 040004). AIP Publishing.
- Everson, M., Duma, V.F. and Dobre, G., 2017, June. Optical power transmission in a polygon mirror-based swept source optical coherence tomography system. In SPIE Digital Optical Technologies 2017 (Vol. 10335, p. 1033520). International Society for Optics and Photonics.
- LiM 2017 – Aspects of vignetting in a polygon mirror-based spectral filter for Swept Source Optical Coherence Tomography (SS-OCT).
- 2CCOCT 2017 – Optimisation of a polygon mirror-based, spectral filter for Swept Source Optical Coherence Tomography (SS-OCT).